Sunday, September 9, 2007

Hospice Begins

I'm heartbroken to write our mom's recent radiation and chemotherapy treatments have been unable to suppress the cancer. Given their ineffectiveness and mom's advanced Stage IV cancer, the attending oncologist has given the approval to begin Hospice Care. Sadly, the pain our mom has continually suffered from has increased in recent weeks resulting in higher drug dosages. Unfortunately, at certain times those same prescribed pain management drugs take their own toll on our mom. She has expressed several times this is not the quality of life she desires.
Hospice will bring compassionate care for the end-of-life, using a team-oriented approach to expected expert medical care, pain management, and emotional and spiritual support expressly tailored to our mom's needs and wishes. This is not an easy subject matter to discuss, but a reality. Many see it as "giving up" or the "final stage;" however, that is not always the case. Our family has discussed amongst ourselves that we all want our mom to have what she views is best for herself. What she desires is something that doesn't belong in print for others to view, however, I can share her thoughts and comments thanking so many of you for your continued support and prayers. Those thoughts have remained a constant with her from the onset of the cancer diagnosis. Just today, she mentioned to me once again how thankful she was to everyone. She still enjoys reading your e-mails, cards and replies to this website.

My sister Andrea will once again return from Wyoming on Monday to assist our father in providing his continuous care to our mother. The above right picture is of Andrea with our mom taken earlier this year not to long before she was diagnosed.

8 comments:

Chris and Bob said...

My dear Joan,

This is a written hug and kiss, but cannot substitute for all the hugs and kisses that I can bestow upon you personally. I love you dearly and will try to give (and get) a hug and kisses daily.

With sweet love,
Chris

Bev said...

May God continue to guide your journey, comfort your hearts and grant you peace in your time of change.
Mel & Joan, It is so evident, with God's help, you have created and raised a family bonded by unselfish and unconditional love, an accomplishment so many only dream of. I believe the blessing to this is that love never leaves, love knows no bounds and love will outlast any season we have ever witnessed.
I pray for your continued blessing and God's will.
While all I can offer are words, please know we care and keep you in prayer.
With Love, Bev

mARTa said...

Your news came today on the 25th anniverary of my Sarah's death. So long ago yet only yesterday. I understand the choices you are making must be difficult but I also know that you have such a strong faith and love for God that he has been guiding you all along. You are surronded by the love of those near you and those of us who are seperated from you by the miles. My life has been the better for knowing you and our love will pass beyond time I am sure. I keep you in my heart dearest friend. Kisses and bear hugs for Mel as well.

Robin said...

Dearest Joanie,

I received a phone call from Patti this afternoon informing me of your latest posting - she found out from Cara. As I've told you for many years, I truly feel blessed by having you in my life. Since the first time we met; you have opened your heart, arms and home to me. Our "girls only" weekends were a "hoot" and wish that we could have another one. All the good times, great food, shopping, stamping & scrapbooking - what memories they are!! And all the special touches you added, you truly have a God given talent and hopefully I have learned from your wonderful example. Just know that you have a plethora of friends and family out there with you foremost in their thoughts and prayers!

Now for something that will hopefully make you smile...come January I'm going to be a grandmamma! Melissa is blessing us with our first grandchild and she sends her love to you as well. Now I just need to get busy and start making baby quilts for the little one.

May the Lord keep you in his arms and give you and the family the courage and strenght to face each day. Only you know how much you can handle and may God give you peace in the decision that you and the doctors make. Always know that we love you!!!!

XOXOX.
Robin

AmyInSanDiego said...

Nina Joan,
I love you! You may never know that the strength and courage you have shown during this time has truly been amazing. I will keep you in my thoughts and heart, always.

Love,
Amy

Amy said...

Dear Joan,
Kevin, Avery, and I send you hugs and love from wyoming. The photo from this post brings back fond memories of a wonderful day spent with you and andrea last march. . .looking at art at the museum,talking over lattes at our favorite bagel shop, walking on snow along the Snake River,and sharing a meal at our house followed by a competitive game of boggle (didn't you win?).
You remain in our hearts and prayers. I am comforted to know that you are surrounded by family, great friends, and god's love.
Jeff, thank you to you and your family for keeping us updated with this blog.

Love to you all,
Amy, Kevin, and Avery (17 months)

Your conforming brother, Matt said...

Dear Grandma,

I miss you a lot and wish I could come to see you to give you hugs and kisses. Middle school is a lot different than elementary school. My favorite subject is "lunch"! We have a lot more homework in middle school

Your conforming brother, Matt said...

Hello Grandma,
I miss you, and wish I could come see you to give you my hugs and kisses. Middle School is a lot different than elementry school. My favorite subject is "lunch"! We get a lot more homework, too. We had cleaned the pond out at the begining of the summer and bought goldfish to put into it. For awhile you could see them play and enjoy their new home, but try as they may, the folks can't keep it from turning green. Now we only see them when they come up for food. I have a band class too, I will be playing the trumpet. Mom and Dad like the sound! I have learned 5 new notes. My feet and pits really stink too, I guess it's that puberty stuff. But I am still good looking. (Mom wanted you to know!)This is my last year as a pre teen. We created a new after school snack system. We have to pay for all our after school snacks, the weird thing is that the healthy snacks are less expensive than the really sugary sweets(Not like real life). I had $20 to purchase snacks for the "store" and found, in order to eat healthier we always end up paying more. We have a register and a pay day too! This system helps me learn how to spend and save, and because the prices are really strange numbers it helps Jake learn how to add and subtract. I hope to talk to you soon,
love you so much,
Nathan