Tuesday, September 4, 2007


Joan was diagnosed with cancer while suffering from severe backaches during the second week of April in Aiken, South Carolina. At the time she was vacationing with my dad along with my brother Matt and his family. The grim news that she had contracted cancer was stunning to all of us. We had no idea and NEVER even contemplated that our mom would be ill. After all, she was the one who maintained a well conditioned figure, ate properly, exercised, and never smoked or drank. When pressed, one of the attending physicians at the hospital in Aiken stated we should have enough time to get her back to California and get her affairs in order. Although that hit me squarely in the jaw, I appreciated the doctor's honesty and certainly never forgot his comment.

We're now in September, nearly five months later since learning of our mom's condition. She's defied that grave comment given in South Carolina, undergone and endured several chemotherapy sessions and far too many radiation treatments. Today, she faced another chemotherapy session, her fifth. Our family is praying the infusion of Alimta will allow her to rest easier and contain the cancer. Then, six days from today, the oncologist will re-evaluate her condition to determine what future actions and/or treatments should be undertaken.

Since our mom's return to California from South Carolina last April, my brother, sister, and I have made over a dozen trips to our mom and dad's home. What continues to amaze each of us is the neighbors, friends, and the people of the local church where my mom and dad worship. Its incredible the continuous concern, offers of assistance, the gifts and baked goods, and the constant stream of cards providing encouragement and love. Let me say that you are very "special" people and "Thank You" again.

This past week, Bob and Monica Taylor who reside in Idaho and formerly lived in California stopped by the house to see Joan. Monica is a dear friend of our mom's dating back some 35 years ago. Interestingly, after briefly seeing Joan, it was Monica's husband Bob that shared, "I can't imagine this, when I come to California, I think of Joanie. . ." I thought his simple statement spoke volumes of how our mom has touched so many. Thank you Bob.

1 comment:

mARTa said...

The other day I walked into little Devin's room to find mama softly crying as he slept. I finished pushing the IV medication and then stooped to hug her. She continued to cry and I said, "this isn't how it's supposed to be is it?" she shook her head 'no' saying, "I just wish we were normal". I understand I said with a knot in my throat.
After leaving the room I told the other nurses I was going for a walk and left to gather myself. A flood of memories had overwhelmed me. One of them being you holding my face in your hands as I cried and you comforting me when Sarah had died. Your friendship and support the past 27 years has taught me many lessons. Thank you because I have passed them on many times also. I wish I wasn't so far for I would like to be there for you as you have been for me. I think of you daily and hold you in my heart. love you, marta