Monday, September 17, 2007

JOAN


We have reached the eleventh hour with our mom's condition. We know the situation is grave and have begun mentally preparing for what seems the inevitable. Our mom is weak, frail and at times laboring to breathe, although she's repeatedly acknowledged she's not feeling pain. For that we're thankful. What's amazing, our mom knows what's happening and yet she continues to voice thoughts/concerns for others. That's how she's lived her life. . .always giving and sacrificing for others. She's really only asked for one thing, that her family be together and love one another. She's never been materialistic or demanding or even the least bit unreasonable. Sometimes, I thought she asked too many questions, but now, I'd answer question after question if I knew she could stay with us. She has touched a lot of us.

We will continue to maintain our vigil at her bedside and support her any way we can. We're praying with her, laughing, and holding/hugging one another. Yet, we feel so helpless. A path has been chosen and it will take God's miracle to change its course. In God, We Trust.

4 comments:

Chris and Bob said...

I hope I have more days of hugs with my dear Joan. It is a blessing that she is no longer in pain. Each moment with her is a gift, and her smiles melt my heart. My heart goes out to all of you--Mel, Andrea, Jeff and Matt.

Chris

mARTa said...

dearest Andrea, Jeff and Matt; Your mother's light continues to shine in all of you. Her loving example of wife, mother, daughter and friend is a treasure she has given all of us who are blessed by her love. She is in a place right now that has brought her peace and eased her pain. She has prepared all of you well; never loosing hope but facing reality as well. You are not helpless although I'm sure that is how you must feel. What you are doing now by just being close is all she really wants anyway. Hang onto each other, to your Dad who needs you more than he would let on and to the faith in God your mother has instilled in you. I at times feel like a cross between your mother's friend and your sibling as at times she treated me like a daughter. Tell her I love her every minute of my life and beyond that. Tell her to imagine me there telling her a funny story or teasing her about turkey bacon! and kiss her check softly for me....I love you all and my heart is breaking that I am so far away.

Unknown said...

Today I said a special prayer for you and your family at the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal. You are in my thoughts and prayers continually. Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do for you even at this distance.

Della

Mary Temple said...

Your Mother Is Always With You

Your mother is always with you...
She's the whisper of the leaves
as you walk down the street.

She's the smell of bleach in
your freshly laundered socks.

She's the cool hand on your
brow when you're not well.

Your mother lives inside
your laughter. She's crystallized
in every tear drop...

She's the place you came from,
your first home.. She's the map you
follow with every step that you take.

She's your first love and your first heart
break....and nothing on earth can separate you.

Not time, Not space...
Not even death....
will ever separate you
from your mother....

You carry her inside of you....